It’s no secret that a Hollywood remake of “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” was happening, and that it’s just the latest in a long string of foreign films getting the tinseltown makeover. What we didn’t know was who was going to be Lisbeth Salander, Stieg Larsson’s almost iconic punk. Well now we do, and it’s this lady:
This is Rooney Mara, a 24-yar-old American-born actress who apparently ticked all the right boxes. Well, I suppose it’s hard to tell right now how she’ll fit into the role, especially in comparison to Noomi Rapace, who starred as Lisbeth in the critically acclaimed Swedish version.
Hey, doesn’t this all sound eerily familiar? Isn’t it just a bit creepy? Remember this?
Yep, just a few months ago I was horrifed at the upcoming remake of “Let The Right One In.” Fortunately, there are some plus points to the new version of “Dragon Tattoo” that weren’t clearly visible in that of “LTROI”. And here they are:
- Although Rooney Mara seems like an unusual name (in more ways than one), she has worked with director David Fincher on his upcoming “The Social Network”
- She’s the little sister of Kate Mara, and so comes from a generation of acting Maras
- Daniel Craig stars as her opposite number, uptight Blomkvist
- They actually film in Sweden
- Did I mention that David Fincher was the director? You know, he did a couple of little movies called “Fight Club” and “Zodiac”. Small, insignificant movies…. who am I kidding? Fincher is one of the best directors out there today
Well that’s about as far as my list goes. But it’s better than nothing! Perhaps this will be a lot more promising than “LTROI” but we’ll just have to give it some time. Filming on the project begins next month, with an expected release date of December 2011.